There’s a fellow on my music forum that goes by the nickname Hal. Yes, that Hal. Anyway on Facebook he challenged me to list Ten Books That Have Stayed With Me. Book list? Me? And away we go in no particular order…
1. The Hobbit/The Lord of the Rings – given to me as a confirmation gift by fiendish older cousins.
2. The Wonder Boys by Michael Chabon. One of those books that I can pick up at anytime and get lost in.
3. The Lord of Light by Roger Zelazney. So weird for its time, contains my favorite opening and closing paragraphs
4. Lake Wobegon Days by Garrison Keillor. The 95 Theses came far far too close to describing my growing up in a small provincial town
5. The Game of Thrones by George RR Martin. I thought fantasy was doomed to be forever a trip through unicorns and daisies. I was wrong.
6. Missionary Stew by Ross Thomas. My favorite thriller of all time and Draper is the kind of hero I can identify with in my most egotistical moments.
7. E is for Evidence by Sue Grafton. I had stopped reading these because of who knows. Reread this and remembered how great Sue is.
8. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by JK Rowling. This is the one where shit started getting real.
9. Seabiscuit by Laura Hillenbrand. The most captivating piece of nonfiction I have ever read.
10. Jonathon Strange and Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke. Such a strange and wonderful world, I truly did not want this to end.
Note..I could have easily added another thirty and not broken a sweat.