I had a chapter for the book that was taking me forever. It went one way and then another in February and March. I went back to it this summer and finally got it right. Problem solved.
A few weeks ago my brother sent me an external hard drive. Last year I had a couple of them spin off into the electronic dust heap and the one 2Tb drive I had is…questionable. My brother saw one on sale for a ridiculous price at Costco and had it shipped to me. So I spent days moving files around from my PC, my wife’s PC, the laptop, and the old hard drive. I thought I was pretty careful overwriting files. I thought.
Yesterday, while mulling over writing things, I decided where to wedge that chapter in. And all I could find was the March version. I looked on the laptop, both PCs, and both hard drives. Every time I came up with the March version. So much for that brilliant solution.
My wife says, “well you should be able to write that again”.
Well, no. The process, or at least my process, doesn’t work that way. This was done without an outline or notes, just from head to computer in a torrent. I can remember some of the solution but not all of it. And certainly not the sentences and paragraphs I worked to polish to a brassy shine. I had even done some work on changing the structure of how the “gods” in the novel functioned and that notion is entirely lost.
So, in my spare time, I’ll be working on recreating this and hoping I can find something that works. And I have no one to blame but myself. Call me Professor Tripp.